We are happy to announce that the Sundrive Coaching Team are are planning a big year for Youth riders on Sundrive velodrome and, as the track season approaches, we wanted to share with you the list of activities we have planned. We are very keen to boost the numbers riding on the track, both through introducing track to existing riders from other disciplines and bringing new riders into the sport altogether. Please encourage any riders within your clubs to give the track a try this year.
For the first time, we will have a standalone youth league running on Saturdays. It will have four rounds – one in each month from April through to July. Riders will be grouped based on ability to encourage competitive racing across each of the groups. Under 14 and under 16 riders will still be welcome to ride our Wednesday night league too where they will be included in the appropriate category for their ability level. The Paddy Doran memorial omnium, which proved a great success in its inaugural running, returns at a slightly later date this year which will avoid any June exam clashes and will hopefully attract big fields. The National Championships will take place at Orangefield velodrome in Belfast in August.
In addition to our regular Saturday training sessions, we plan to run two track camps – one at Easter (details tba soon) and the second during July. If the number of riders justify it, we will be happy to add a regular midweek evening session too. Finally, we plan to organise a trip to a UK indoor velodrome for riders who are active on the track during the year (details tbc).
We look forward to seeing great youth racing at Sundrive velodrome in the coming months.
If you have any questions regarding youths riding at Sundrive feel free to get in touch with me 087 6811984 (Colm)
2023 Youth Track Program
Youth & Senior Accreditation
Saturday February 18th (Fully Booked)
Saturday February 25th 1430
Saturday March 18th 1430
Saturday March 11th 1230
Saturday April 15th 1230
These Accreditations are for Youth riders who wish to participate in our 4 week Saturday Youth league which will run on Saturdays from April 08th. New riders will also be required to attend at least one further training session before being permitted to race. Attending further training sessions will greatly improve your chances of success and enjoyment of the upcoming events!
We will also host a ‘Youth Specific’ Accreditation on March 11th and April 15th and both of these dates give sufficient opportunities to complete the process before the next race event.
Competitive Youth Track Fixtures
- April 08th, 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm (Youth League 1)
- May 13th, 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm (Youth League 2)
- June 17th Paddy Doran Youth Omnium
- June 24th, 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm (Youth League 3)
- July 15th, 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm (Youth League 4)
- August 12th National Youth Track Championships (Orangefield velodrome, Belfast)
U12/U14 Youth Training Dates (Saturdays 12.30)
- March 04th (First Youth Specific Youth Training session)
- March 11th (Accreditation for all Youth)
- March 18th, March 25th, April 1st (Prior to League 1)
- April 4th – 6th – Youth Camp (open to new and accredited riders; U12/U14/U16)
- April 15th (Accreditation for all Youth),
- April 22nd, April 29th, June 03rd (Prior to League 2/3 & Paddy Doran)
- July 08th (Prior to League 4)
- July 28th (Prior to National Track Championships)
- July (dates TBC) – Youth camp
- Date TBC – Trip to UK indoor velodrome