Written by Hugh Byrne
The Women's Track Omnium is a multi event Track competition introduced as part of the equalisation of the male / female medals disparity on the track at the Olympic Games. The 6 events cover a spread of events covering sprint ability, endurance and track craft and it is also a measure of how a rider can manage their energy and recover to perform to their mximimum over the two days.
The events for women are listed in order below
All riders must participate in all six events with the winner of each event being aswarded one point and ponst being awarded down to the last place. The rider with the highest placings (lowest cululative score) is deemed the winner.
Firstly if the number of entrants exceed the track limit, then the field would be split an two short points races would be run to reduce the field down to the required number - 24 for an indoor 250m track.
Day 1 : Flying lap (250m) , 20k Points Race, Elinitation Race
Day 2 : 3km Pursuit, 10k Scratch, 500m TT,
Details of event below with reference to Orangefield (400m Track)
1. Flying Lap - This is limited to 250m with two laps alllowed to reach maximum entry speed
2. 20k points race - Sprints every 2k (5 laps x 10). Points awarded 5/3/2/1 . 20 points for lap gained. Half riders start on rail, other half held at bottom of track. Each sprint lap preceeded by bell
3. Elimination Race - One laps neutral, then one rider eliminated per lap based on rear wheel. Lapped riders eliminated in next sprint. Gaining a lap doesnt count. Final 2 riders sprint it out.
4. 3km Pursuit
5. 10lk Scratch Race - all races must be completed (penalties apply)
6. 500m Standing Start - highest points first.
Comprehensive set of rules can be found on www.uci.ch